Windows 10 fun during 'lockdown'.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
Fun activity for the first day of lockdown.

Go into your Windows 10 Settings and TURN OFF all the automatic functions that the last update turned back on. Including automatic MS Edge updates and 'run in background' (whether you use it or not), Location tracking, Camera and Mic Access, App permissions, and so on.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Fun activity for the first day of lockdown.

Go into your Windows 10 Settings and TURN OFF all the automatic functions that the last update turned back on. Including automatic MS Edge updates and 'run in background' (whether you use it or not), Location tracking, Camera and Mic Access, App permissions, and so on.
May I ask why?

DrLeftover

May I ask why?

I've noticed on the computer I use for the services at the Nursing home as well as my own, both the same edition of 10, that the background processes can spike and use almost all of the memory and throw it into "100% disk usage" while I'm trying to do other things.

It doesn't matter whether you put it in "game mode" or set a schedule for some of these processes, 10 does its own thing no matter what the user wants.

Shutting down some of the "background apps" doesn't STOP it from running a bunch of other useless crap while you're trying to work, but it does free up some memory and disk for it to use.

You can't kill "Antimalware Service executable", or "Windows Explorer", both known to get really hoggish with both memory and disk, but you can at least make it harder for 10 to use everything available for its own purposes when you, the USER, want to do what you bought the computer for.

DrLeftover

I've noticed on the computer I use for the services at the Nursing home as well as my own, both the same edition of 10, that the background processes can spike and use almost all of the memory and throw it into "100% disk usage" while I'm trying to do other things.

It doesn't matter whether you put it in "game mode" or set a schedule for some of these processes, 10 does its own thing no matter what the user wants.

Shutting down some of the "background apps" doesn't STOP it from running a bunch of other useless crap while you're trying to work, but it does free up some memory and disk for it to use.

You can't kill "Antimalware Service executable", or "Windows Explorer", both known to get really hoggish with both memory and disk, but you can at least make it harder for 10 to use everything available for its own purposes when you, the USER, want to do what you bought the computer for.

That's the way the church's main computer is. Nothing on it changes.

I'm not sure why the other two are so special, but they are, and I am the admin on all three with all the settings as similar as I can make them.

DrLeftover

I just saw that the last update installed and enabled as a default the touchscreen typewriter on one of the laptops.

It has never been used, never asked for, don't need it ALWAYS RUNNING, etc.

DrLeftover

Monday I was going through and cleaning up the music and other files we use for the services at the nursing home on the church computer.

I noticed it was running slower than usual, so I checked Task Manager.

Windows Antimalware was running, and using over 250 megs of RAM.

I shut down all other processes and let it cook for a most of the day with NOTHING else running. Its usage never came down.

Tuesday, same numbers on the antimalware. I put it through the update and scan and all that, its RAM requirements never got below 230. And it would occassionally run the hard drive up to 100% usage.

Wednesday, same thing.

So today I went out and got Kapersky's free version and installed it on the machine. After doing the required dance and letting it update, I checked task manager.

Kapersky IS running in the background, and it has disabled Windows antimalware, and it is only using 36 megs of RAM.

So, exactly WHAT was the MS product doing with that other 200 megs?

DrLeftover

I don't know, I'll go check and see if it is on this machine and what the settings are for it.

DrLeftover

That is a hard disk storage manager, it doesn't have a lot to do with how the memory is used.

However, it is turned off.

On this machine only 118 gigs are in use with over 800 gig free.

The bulk of the files are videos and images used in the services.

DrLeftover

Something else to do.

Try to figure out why the browser on your laptop/desktop needs to be able to access your machine's built in motion sensor, which is enabled as the default.

Top Bottom