Still get the Windows 10 Upgrade Free!

TechWiz18

He's a wizard :O
We discovered this here at work when upgrading customers to Windows 10 we found that after the upgrade, so long as the previous version (7 or 8) had a valid and activated license. We could still use the install tool from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 to upgrade for free.

Don't believe me? Here's an article to back me up...https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free/

Jazzy

Forum Admin
After all the problems I have heard about Windows 10, I'm sticking with my Windows 7.

TechWiz18

He's a wizard :O
After all the problems I have heard about Windows 10, I'm sticking with my Windows 7.
I haven't hadn't many troubles myself really but I also don't update my computer to the latest "Feature Update" as soon as it's released either I usually wait 6 months :p

However, Windows 10 Home users have it worse off cause update control is a little weird. Aside from that tool I shared in another thread there isn't many way's to control updates that are "user friendly".

Snog

For anyone that might be wondering, this is still a viable option as of yesterday.

I have one computer that was running Windows 7 in a virtual box that I upgraded yesterday and it worked without a problem. Just be aware that it does take quite a bit of time and might appear stuck at some points. Just wait it out and it will complete.

win10.png

activated.png

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
In the course of a week, I use three different laptops with 10 on them. One is an OEM install, the other two are 8 upgrades.

The OEM 10 on the Toshiba is almost useless. It decided it was a bootleg copy, all but disabled MS Office, and shows an error every time it boots. The "geeks" where we bought it tried to put the code in, nope, wouldn't take it, they did a reinstall, which kicked itself out because 10 knows what you're trying to do. So we're living with it. It belongs to the church and I carry it to the nursing home and run their service off it. Using VLC for videos and Open Office for the sermon slide show. It will let me run those, as long as its WiFi is turned off.

My Dell is an 8 upgrade, it works OK, but it is slower than the XP laptop sitting next to it to do ANYTHING, and it will drop its internet connection at random because, it says, it isn't secure. It also has the 100% disc usage bug, which I've managed to bring under some control by turning off everything it will let me turn off. I also know to boot it, then let it sit undisturbed for about fifteen minutes while MS antimalware does... whatever it is doing. Only then will it work without threats or curses from either of us.

The church's HP is an 8 upgrade. It too is slow. Can only be used to run the Sunday morning service without trying to update something or bogging down with the WiFi off. And takes FOREVER to open a document or an image because it insists on enabling ever feature ever installed in Windows every time. Something I haven't been able to figure out yet.

I know, you'll say the common thread is the operator. No. it's not. One thing our former minister said was an advantage of taking a church two states away was that he didn't have to deal with the Toshiba or the HP any more. It was his idea to have me install an old upright Vista machine in the office, a donation from an actual 'Church Lady' who upgraded her own computer, to run the printer, the HP would do it, but it hated the printer, an aging Kyocera.

Snog

I wouldn't say it's the operator at all.

I can't speak for the OEM Toshiba install, but the Dell and HP upgrades could very well be the computers themselves. In the time period when Windows 8 was the standard install on those computers, Dell and HP were considered by most knowledgeable people to be low end, entry level personal computers (especially those sold by Best Buy, etc.). And as such would have trouble running Windows 10 seven or eight years later when the system requirements are higher. They may just meet the requirements for Windows 10, but just barely.

Not knowing the specs for those computers, I can't say for sure. But the near 100% disk usage could very well be that the computer doesn't have a lot of memory and it's swapping to disk.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
This JUST HAPPENED this morning on the 'nursing home' computer.

I was making sure I had the right songs for over there when a "NOTIFICATION" of a free trial of some Microsoft service or other popped up.

I have turned off ALL notifications, for everything. Because they inevitably pop up during the service.

It went through an MS OS update last week, and turned some of them back on.

I just went in and turned them off again, and, as soon as I finish checking the songs, I'm turning the WiFi back off.

Why does Redmond DO THAT when all it does is really torque us off?

Top Bottom