My Chrome Browser

Kaunisto

I'm having severe trouble with Chrome, it only allows me to secure sites and doesn't recognize 90% of certificates and cookies.
So far I've only gotten to Youtube, Wikipedia, Google, IMDB and with Yahoo and Yaketys there's about 50% chance of "aw, snap".
Probably something I did - been messing with security lately - but yesterday it was still all working and today when I boot up...
Anyone know an obvious fix?

Snog

Chrome has been slowly rolling out changes since December. I don't know if this is relevant or not.

Here at Yaketys we've been pushing people to only use secure URLs (HTTPS) for images, etc. for quite a while, and that is part of the reason we did it. But, there may still be some older posts without them. That could be part of the reason you're having problems. I would need the exact URLs you have problems with here to investigate.

Anyway, here's what's up with Chrome:

What is Mixed Content?
Mixed content is a term used to describe non-https content loading on an HTTPS website.

HTTPS represent websites using a SSL certificate to deliver content. This technology makes websites secure by encrypting the data transfer between a website and a user’s browser.

Google, Microsoft, WordPress.org, WPBeginner, and many other organizations are pushing HTTPs as the standard protocol for websites.
They have been very successful in their efforts. According to Google, “Chrome users now spend over 90% of their browsing time on HTTPS on all major platforms.”

However, there are still many websites serving partial insecure content (mixed content) over HTTPs websites. Google aims to improve this situation by giving website owners a nudge in the right direction.

Why Google Chrome Wants to Block Mixed Content?
Google Chrome already blocks mixed content, but it’s limited to certain content types like JavaScript and iFrame resources.

From December 2019, Google Chrome will move forward to start blocking other mixed content resources like images, audio, video, cookies, and other web resources.

An insecure HTTP file on a secure HTTPs webpage can still be used by hackers to manipulate users, install malware, and hijack a website. This jeopardizes your website security as well as the safety of your website visitors.

It also creates a bad user experience as Google Chrome cannot indicate whether a page is completely secure or insecure.

What Will Happen if a Website is Showing Mixed Content?
Google Chrome has announced a gradual plan to implement mixed content blocking. It will be implemented in three steps spawning over the next three releases of Google Chrome.

Step 1
Starting from December 2019 (Chrome 79), it will add a new settings option to the ‘Site Settings’ menu. Users will be able to unblock the mixed content already blocked by Google Chrome including JavaScript and iframe resources.

If a user opts-out for a website, then Google Chrome will serve mixed content on that site, but it will replace the padlock icon with the insecure icon.

Step 2
Starting from January 2020 (Chrome 80), Google Chrome will start auto upgrading HTTP video and audio file URLs to HTTPs. If it fails to load them over https, then it will automatically block those files.

It will still allow images to load over HTTP, but the padlock icon will change to Not Secure icon if a website is serving images over HTTP.

Step 3
From February 2020 (Chrome 81), Google Chrome will start auto-upgrading HTTP images to load over HTTPs. If it fails to load them over https, then those images will be blocked as well.

Kaunisto

The problem seems to have disappeared on its own and I don't think I did anything but turn Windows Defender, but I doubt that did it.

Kaunisto

Is it just my computer or has Chrome been really unstable lately?
I don't have other problems, but Chrome keeps finding different ways to crash.

Top Bottom