My Chrome Browser

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Just noticed that members using Chrome as their browser are using version 78. Mine is using version 74. I had thought Chrome automatically updates itself to the newest version.

Is there a setting I need to change to enable auto version updates?

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
That's what I'm trying to find out because mine didn't.
It might have something to do with the operating system you have.

The computer in the church office won't update anymore, at all. It's Vista.

Snog

It might have something to do with the operating system you have.

The computer in the church office won't update anymore, at all. It's Vista.
Could be, but she's on Windows 7 and that's not quite EOL yet. ;)

Kaunisto

Mine updates (W7 here) and I don't even know when it does it - and with my internet speed you'd think I'd notice.

Cordante

Jazzy's Barista
Mine updated when i opend chrome settings and clicked on "about chrome", then it started to update automaticly.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Mine updated when i opend chrome settings and clicked on "about chrome", then it started to update automaticly.
That's the way to manually update Chrome. I still don't see a setting or way to get it to auto-update.

Cordante

Jazzy's Barista
Step 1: Close Google Chrome.

Step 2: Open run dialogue box by pressing Windows Key + R.

Step 3: In this window type msconfig and click OK.

Step 4: System Configuration window will appear, navigate to the Services tab.

Step 5: After it, find Google Update (gupdate) and Google Update (gupdatem) and check the services.

Step 6: Click on the Apply and then on OK button to save the changes.

Step 7: Reboot your PC and open Google Chrome.

If the "gupdate" and "gupdatem" allready is checked you don't need to do step 6 & 7. Then it's allredy on autoupdate but not working of some reason

Jazzy

Forum Admin

Step 5: After it, find Google Update (gupdate) and Google Update (gupdatem) and check the services.

If the "gupdate" and "gupdatem" allready is checked you don't need to do step 6 & 7. Then it's allredy on autoupdate but not working of some reason
Thank you very much. Since I have decent internet speed right now and don't want to loose it, I'm going to do this first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I make out. Thank you again!

Cordante

Jazzy's Barista
Thank you very much. Since I have decent internet speed right now and don't want to loose it, I'm going to do this first thing tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how I make out. Thank you again!
Sound like a good plan :LOL:

Jazzy

Forum Admin

This is what I saw and didn't do anything as I wasn't sure what to do
Chrome Update.PNG

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Okey, seems like it's allredy on autoupdate, then it's just buggy, maybe it works when the next update comes ;)

EDIT: i see gupdatem is stopped, but mine is also and mine worked
Mine didn't for some reason. Guess I'll have to either do it manually (which will take forever on my slow speed internet) or wait for the next update.

Cordante

Jazzy's Barista
Mine didn't for some reason. Guess I'll have to either do it manually (which will take forever on my slow speed internet) or wait for the next update.
I see it's changed on the new version so i can't see how it is on the old one, but isn't it a option to update in the background when you manually update?

Jazzy

Forum Admin
isn't it a option to update in the background when you manually update?
I don't see an option like that. If I go to about chrome, it will just start the update. I did find this which I might try:

• If you wish to set Chrome to do this automatically when it starts up, open the menu and click "Settings" from the menu instead of "About Google Chrome". After the page loads, find the "On startup" section (you may need to scroll up/down the page to find it). Once it is found, make sure you have selected the "Open a specific page or set of pages" option. Click the "Add a new page" button and it will ask for a URL. Use the address for the "About Google Chrome" page as the URL (chrome://settings/help) and then click the "Add" button. Doing this will set Chrome to automatically check for updates on when launched.
My question is can I still use chrome while it's updating?

Cordante

Jazzy's Barista
I don't see an option like that. If I go to about chrome, it will just start the update. I did find this which I might try:

• If you wish to set Chrome to do this automatically when it starts up, open the menu and click "Settings" from the menu instead of "About Google Chrome". After the page loads, find the "On startup" section (you may need to scroll up/down the page to find it). Once it is found, make sure you have selected the "Open a specific page or set of pages" option. Click the "Add a new page" button and it will ask for a URL. Use the address for the "About Google Chrome" page as the URL (chrome://settings/help) and then click the "Add" button. Doing this will set Chrome to automatically check for updates on when launched.
My question is can I still use chrome while it's updating?
Yes, that should not be a problem ;) worst case you can set it to update while at work? :) it's no problem using while utdating at least ;)

Top Bottom