Hot Spot

Jazzy

Forum Admin
Since my computer needs to be upgraded, I called my local computer repair guy. When I told him I wanted to to purchase another newer refurbished computer from him but needed a modem installed, I got a real shock. He told me he cannot locate a 56k modem anywhere and good luck to me if I could find one for him.

He has a Dell OptiPlex with Windows 10 and a bunch of other programs installed on it. Now, here come the fun part. I cannot get a satellite dish because my heavily wooded lot would block the signal. His solution was for me to get a hot spot from either Verizon or AT+T and that would work for me.

Computer illiterate me has no idea if his solution would work for me or not. Plus, I have no idea how much GB's I would even need.

Can anyone tell me what you think of his hot spot idea?

Snog

Amazon has modems as does Newegg and probably every other reputable computer parts shop.
So far as a hot spot goes, they work quite well. But they can be expensive. If you decide to go that route, I would check out Metro by T-Mobile (formerly MetroPCS). But whatever company you go with, just be sure you have coverage where you are.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
If the cell signal out there in the boondocks where you live is marginal, a wireless solution may be no better than the dialup you have now.

DrLeftover

"I'm different. Let this not upset you" Paracelsus
My cell phone has always worked and get great reception. Does that make a difference?
Yes.

Because the cell towers are what is used to transmit the internet signal.

That may be your first best choice.

Angel

No Drama Zone!
I used my T-Mobile hot spot when I was in a remote area. I was able to get online using it....but if I remember right I was not able to watch movies without using a booster, but I was able to play games in Pogo and move around the web pretty good. This was many years ago and T-Mobile charge and extra $10 on my service.

Snog

I cannot get a satellite dish because my heavily wooded lot would block the signal.
This has bothered me since I first saw it. How are you judging that the trees would block the signal?

I'm asking because most people look due south, see trees and conclude they can't get satellite. Being you're in the eastern half of the country, in reality, the most likely satellite would be about 1/2 way between due south and due west (orbital 97w, magnetic 227w). Then looking in that direction, how close is the nearest tree and about how tall is it? (dishes get angled upwards, they don't look straight ahead)

Don't forget to take into account the dish being mounted on a wall or on your roof. That could completely void out any obstacles from ground level. ;)

Of course it also depends on if you're willing to spend $60+/month for satellite internet.

Jazzy

Forum Admin
This has bothered me since I first saw it. How are you judging that the trees would block the signal?
Two technicians came out from a satellite company and did a land survey and they had some type of signal readers and were testing to see if they could get a signal. They also did a walk-around the property and measured trees, distance, signal, etc. They determined a dish would not work for me.

Olmeca

I have been using my cell phone's hotspot for months now (at least until recently when my sister finally got internet for the apartment) and its worked great. Though I was unfortunately paying 93 dollars a month (cause Taxes and all) just to ensure I had that feature on my phone.

Vince284

Two technicians came out from a satellite company and did a land survey and they had some type of signal readers and were testing to see if they could get a signal. They also did a walk-around the property and measured trees, distance, signal, etc. They determined a dish would not work for me.
So are you still on dial up? Did you find another solution? I use a hotspot everyday and that is the go-to connection for all the people out in the field for the company I work for.

Vince284

I'm not sure if you needed more detail. I use AT&T and only have 20 GB of data and pay about $30/mo for the data. It gives me about 2 1/2 hours of live TV streaming a day, and I only use it Monday thru Friday. I don't have unlimited data on my plan. If I was to get unlimited, my hotspot would jump to 50 GB and I would have top speed for 50 GB, then it would slow down depending on traffic. I think that would be about $50. The company I work for uses Verizon, but none of the employees are using it for video, but they are on it all day long.

It is fast, like I said I stream live TV.

Howard

Can anyone tell me what you think of his hot spot idea?
I've heard of people using their cellphone data to run internet on their computers and game consoles. The girl I have been seeing says it works. I would really try that. She has unlimited data on her Straight Talk phone and she uses it on her PS4. I guess all you need to do now is find someone who can set that up for you.

Top Bottom